Saturday, August 15, 2009

Harvest Day

Today was harvest day, we pulled onion and beets and dug potatoes. Due to the wacky weather we have had, and the lack of care our garden received this year harvest wasn't as good as we would have liked. However, we did manage to get enough onions, potatoes and beets.
I had a little help with the onion harvest. She decided that the sun was just much too bright and thought that Ama's garden hat would be a great solution to the problem.
Sami the cat thought maybe beets would be okay...but then again maybe not.
As I was making pickled beets, and they were staining my hands a wonderful dark pink color, I couldn't help but think what a wonderful color that would be for dyeing some roving.
Ah...perhaps another day.

2 comments:

Madame Purl said...

Yeah! Love the blog. I often think of dyeing with the beet juice too. I haven't done it yet, but one of these days.

cyndy said...

Welcome to the Blogosphere!

The harvest looks great! Your harvest helper is adorable! How do you cure your onions? I'm looking for a better way...

Never did the beet dye, but have heard that like berry dye, it can fade with exposure to sunlight over time. Would love to try it out...